Motivated by Justice. Success by Excellence. Aggressive by Nature.

I was injured in a hit and run, what should I do?

On Behalf of | Dec 17, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

You already know there is at least some small risk of a car accident whenever you get behind the wheel and take to the road. Even if an accident occurs, you can receive a settlement from your insurance company or the other driver.

However, when you become the victim of a hit-and-run, it is not clear what happens next. After sustaining a hit-and-run injury, you can have peace of mind by understanding what you should do next.

What does Minnesota law say about hit-and-runs?

Minnesota collision laws clearly state that fleeing after hitting another car is illegal. Furthermore, the burden is on the at-fault driver to contact emergency services and render what aid they can. There are severe consequences for at-fault drivers who do not fulfill these obligations and fail to provide their insurance information to the other parties involved, especially if the guilty individual flees the scene. These accidents can come with major criminal penalties on top of civil penalties.

What are my next steps after a hit-and-run?

After experiencing a hit-and-run, Bankrate recommends that your next step should be to contact 911 to request necessary medical attention and officer assistance. If you are not seriously injured, you should take photos of the damage and collect other evidence, such as witnesses’ contact information and any potential dashcam footage from other drivers. Contacting your insurance company to file a claim is another essential action. Of course, it goes without saying that even if you do not feel injured, going to the doctor is crucial. Adrenaline masks potential injuries for hours or days; you could have a serious injury and not even know it.

You have the right to pursue compensation when another driver is responsible for causing an accident. If you also sustain an injury and the other driver flees the scene, you may have a particularly strong case for securing the damages you deserve.