Motivated by Justice. Success by Excellence. Aggressive by Nature.

What to do after an injury on a loved one’s property

On Behalf of | Feb 25, 2022 | Slip and Fall Injuries

Like most people, you spend a significant amount of time with friends and family. However, if your loved ones know about a dangerous condition on their properties and do not fix it or tell you, they may be liable for any accidents that occur.

Although they have a duty to protect you, the last thing you want to do is sue people you love. Therefore, follow these steps if you find yourself injured during a visit.

Gather evidence

After you have seen a doctor about your injury, document and gather evidence for your premises liability claim. Take photos of the area where your injury occurred, collect your medical bills and proof of lost income and write down the witnesses’ contact information as well as the conditions that led to your accident.

Ask about homeowners insurance

Although your loved ones may offer to pay for your medical bills, the costs can add up quickly, and homeowners insurance should pay for most accidents on their properties. Therefore, ask whether the property owner has this type of policy. Then, protect your relationship and claim by avoiding discussions about the incident and your injury.

Pursue compensation

Although you may be hesitant to pursue compensation for your medical bills and lost income, you will negotiate a settlement with or file a lawsuit against the insurance company, not your friend or family member.

By keeping your loved ones out of the dispute, you can protect your relationships while you fight for the money you need to recover from your accident.